One bowl. Less than one hour. Cardamom + Coffee? Sold.
Terra Kaffe is a group of coffee enthusiasts, artists, hobbists, and notably, bakers. And while we’re still a ways away from opening our own Backerei (a brand can dream), we do have a spiffy little kitchenette where we develop recipes, test baked goodies, and share them with the team and you.
This time around, we landed on the humble snacking cake. Notorious for how easy it is to nibble on every time you pass by, our version makes a marriage of espresso and cardamom, a distinctly complex and bitter flavor that can’t be beat. All you need is an hour, a source of espresso, and a dream — or at least a strong wish for delicious cake. Let’s get started.
- 2x 6-inch cake rounds OR 1x 8x8 baking pan
- Terra Kaffe TK-01
- Large mixing bowl
- 2/3 cup milk of your choice (we used oatmilk!)
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup espresso
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1 cup. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cardamom
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- On your TK-01, make 3–4 shots of espresso, or until you have 3/4 cup of freshly brewed espresso. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare your baking dish: Line your baking vessel(s) with parchment paper, greased on both sides and along the walls.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Add in all dry ingredients. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour batter into cake pan(s) and bake 30–35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy with your favorite TK-01 drink!